Put your advanced Spanish skills to work in the lively Mediterranean city of Barcelona by enrolling at CIEE’s partner school, Universitat de Barcelona (UB). Dramatically improve your proficiency by immersing yourself in the Spanish education system and practicing your Spanish with local university students. You’ll find a wide range of courses across UB’s 16 colleges, in addition to CIEE elective courses. CIEE Barcelona is located near the city’s main square, a short walk from University Plaza where UB classes are held. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to make your understanding of this diverse region complete – and unforgettable.
LEAN ON YOUR CIEE GUARDIAN ANGEL
a Spanish peer ready to help you settle into your new life and meet friends at University of Barcelona.
BITE INTO BARCELONA CULTURE
with small-group cooking lessons, tours, and tapas night.
GAIN VALUABLE EXPERIENCE
and put your talents to good use with an internship. You might update a website for the Centre for Discourse Studies or man the Language Lab at the 'Centro de Autoaprendizaje de Lenguas' at UB.
Excursions & Activities
- Get to know Spanish students with conversation exchanges.
- See Barcelona from new heights with a hike and excursion to Collserola.
- See for yourself why landmarks like Museu Picasso and Gaudi’s artworks engender awe from visitors around the world.
- Explore beyond Barcelona, with highlights that could include Roman ruins in the coastal city Tarragona, the medieval town of Girona, the Dalí museum in Figueres, among others.
Gain valuable experience, put your talents to good use, and get a realistic feel for everyday life in Barcelona with an internship. Past students have updated the website for the Centre for Discourse Studies, managed the Language Lab at the Centro de Autoaprendizaje de Lenguas at UB; and helped staff in the UB Office of Mobility and International Programs.
Heritage Learners Track
Heritage learners take the CIEE Advanced Spanish language course “Spanish for Heritage Learners*” in addition to other CIEE and elective university courses chosen from the entire Universitat de Barcelona curriculum. CIEE provides a list of recommended direct-enrollment courses.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Three-day orientation – an introduction to Spanish culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring Semester||2021||11/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.