Are you interested in expanding your knowledge of political, economic, or business practices through the lens of a developing nation? What about focusing on how Ghana is using science and technology to solve the environmental, social, and health issues facing the country today? Does learning about the culture, history, agriculture, and people of Sub-Saharan African countries appeal to you? You can do all of this and more on CIEE's Arts and Sciences program at the University of Ghana. The CIEE Legon program offers you rewarding academic and experiential learning opportunities to explore and engage in the classroom and community.
LEARN ABOUT WEST AFRICA
outside of the classroom by living with a Ghanaian family or on-campus housing, volunteering, interning, and observing day-to-day life.
at the University of Ghana - ranked 7th best university in Africa - in humanities, basic and applied sciences, education, and health sciences.
EXPLORE BEYOND LEGON
with field trips and excursions around this equatorial region.
Excursions & Activities
- Travel to Cape Coast and Elmina to see slave castles and the starting point of the transatlantic journey.
- Visit the Ashanti region to explore the traditional chieftaincy institution, history, and culture as well as the role women play in the making and unmaking of chiefs among the Ashanti people.
- Experience regional highlights like Aburi Botanical Gardens, Tetteh Quarshie Cocoa Farm, Boti Falls, Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum, Lake Volta, Tafi-Atome monkey sanctuary, and the W.E.B. Dubois Center.
- Get involved on campus by joining a music, theater, or art group, or meeting up with Ghanaian students for soccer, running, swimming, field hockey, or tennis. Basketball and baseball are also getting popular.
- Take advantage of campus lectures, discussions, and receptions.
Gain important real-world experience and academic credit by pursuing an internship. You will have the opportunity to shadow doctors and nurses during ward rounds at the West Africa AIDS Foundation and International Health Care Center; teach English or math and mentor children at the Future Leaders Underprivileged Care Center; assist with research and advocacy at the Ghana Anti-Corruption Coalition or work alongside entrepreneurs in various fields of business.
Internship for Credit YouTube:
Volunteering. Get involved with local Ghanaians through service work. Volunteer at a hospital or rural health clinic, government think-tank, NGO, day-care center, school, newspaper, domestic violence support center, or similar organization.
Community service. Join other CIEE students for a group service-project, like painting or scrubbing a special needs center, collecting donations, or building a water filtration system.
Community Engagement. Immerse yourself in the Ghanaian culture while giving back to your host community. You may volunteer at local schools and orphanages. Previously, students have volunteered in day care centers, elementary and junior high schools, teaching computer literacy, coaching soccer, and mentoring disadvantaged youth. CIEE Legon also undertakes community service every semester. Past projects have included painting, weeding, and scrubbing at a special needs center; donation of cloth items and water tanks; and the building of a water filtering system at a village.
Peer support. Have the support of a U-Pal – a CIEE-trained University of Ghana student who will help you get settled and connected in Legon.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to Ghanaian culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|