Embark on an exploration of challenges facing Tanzania, including sanitation, disease, hunger, poor education, gender inequality, climate change, HIV, water issues, and deforestation. Through fascinating coursework and activities with locals, you'll learn about issues impacting Tanzanian communities, design and carry out an original research project, volunteer at a local non-governmental organization, and gain a basic proficiency in Swahili.
EXPLORE THE ECONOMIC EPICENTER
Dar es Salaam; the mid-sized town of Iringa; and the rural district of Mufindi or Kilolo.
PARTICIPATE IN A FOUR-WEEK FIELD STUDY
homestay during your field study experience at an NGO that addresses public health, education, and social welfare issues in rural Tanzania.
CARRY OUT YOUR OWN RESEARCH
project studying a topic that you are passionate about.
Excursions & Activities
- Travel to Lake Nyasa to see the Livingstone mountains plunge into the Rift Valley.
- Visit the Isimila Stone Age site to examine archaeological artifacts from human habitation more than 100,000 years ago.
- Go on safari within the Ruaha National Park to see ecological preservation in action.
- Visit the Udzungwa Mountains, where the highest waterfall in Tanzania plunges into a protected wetland next to miles of sugar plantations.
Volunteering. Spend four weeks volunteering at an NGO that addresses public health, education, and social welfare issues in rural Tanzania.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Tanzanian culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host country and city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|