Study abroad in Khon Kaen and gain an in-depth understanding of the role of public health in Thailand. The program combines classroom-based academics with extensive field work that offers hands-on experience, visits to private and public health agencies, and guidance from government officials and practitioners. The program begins with an intensive Thai language instruction course, geared toward helping you succeed in everyday situations. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
doctors, nurses, public health professional, academics, and community-level public health volunteers
local public health leaders to determine research topics and activities that meet community needs
Laos, Vietnam, or another Southeast Asian country to compare public health systems
Excursions & Activities
- Enjoy a three-day tourist excursion to scenic Chiang Mai (starting Fall 2018)
- Go on two- to three-day community visits using various research tools to assess community public health needs and build relationships
- Take a five-day comparative study excursion to Laos, Vietnam, or another Southeast Asian country
- Head to an overnight excursion where you feed, bathe, and walk your own elephant with “Elephant Lover Home” in Surin Province (starting Fall 2018)
- Camp at a mountainous national park and watch the sunset while bats stream out of a nearby cave
- Live with a Thai student in a dorm-style room with internet, air-conditioning, microwave, refrigerator, and heated shower - a five-minute walk to convenience stores, coffee shops, restaurants, and nightlife venues
- Practice Thai with a Peer tutor
- Collaborate in a fieldwork/research project. Past students have studied pesticide consumption, diabetes management, the behavior of motorcyclists, nutrition, trash management, and more.
- Contribute human interest stories published in partner publication The Isaan Record.
- Help create the newest issue of Common Ground Magazine, a publication of student writing and photography on selected issues.
- Work with CIEE student-initiated Radical Grandma Collective, a women’s weaving group preserving a traditional art and raising money for important local issues.
- Participate in an annual human rights festival or other similar event in the northeast.
- Join other students, Thai resident assistants, and CIEE staff for fun and reflective evenings discussing cross-cultural issues.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Thai culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Three-day excursion to Chiang Mai (transportation, lodging, and trip to Doi Suthep) (starting Fall 2018)
- Overnight excursion at the Elephant Lover Home in Surin (starting Fall 2018)
- Five-day study excursion to Laos or another Southeast Asian country
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Food and lodging while on community visits
- Research costs
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|