Senegal’s strides toward improved human rights and standard of living make it an eye-opening place to dig into complex environmental, globalization, and development issues. Use your advanced French skills in a combination of language and content courses taught in French and Wolof at CIEE Dakar. The program combines traditional classroom sessions with hands-on urban and rural experiences, in which students live with Peace Corps and local volunteers for one week. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
EXPERIENCE THE CONCRETE CHALLENGES
of development as you teach children, create training programs for young women, and help officials run urban healthcare projects.
LIVE, LEARN, AND VOLUNTEER
in a rural or semi-urban area to gain perspective on development issues beyond the city.
LIVE WITH A DAKAR HOST
to experience the principal aspects of Senegalese culture – family and social life.
Excursions & Activities
- Experience life in a rural area for one week with Peace Corps volunteers or village hosts, to explore contrasts and links between rural and urban living.
- Visit historic Gorée Island – a major slave-trade center for four centuries, and now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Sleep under the stars in a Moorish tent and try riding a camel.
- Venture off for a day in Toubab Dialaw, a fishing village and artist’s colony.
- See more of the region with a weekend trip to UNESO World Heritage sites in Sine-Saloum; Saint Louis, the former capital of French West Africa; and other rural areas.
- Participate in cultural activities in and around Dakar.
Internships. Get unique work experience as you examine Africa’s social, economic, environmental, and public health issues. You might help ImagiNation Afrika support Nomadic Learning programs, or create materials to help the Global Research and Advocacy Group advocate for vulnerable minority groups.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to Senegalese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|