Challenge yourself to make the most of natural and built resources, reduce the environmental footprints of our buildings, and provide healthy environments in Berlin, a city pulsing with innovation and energy. Use design, programming, and social science in hands-on workshops to create promise for the future, with cutting-edge tools and expert instruction from the best of Berlin's remarkable architecture and design community.
EXPLORE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT IN BERLIN
with guided visits to experimental cooperative housing at Spreefeld and urban farming culture at Prinzessinengärten.
DELVE INTO A RANGE OF ARCHITECTURAL STYLES
from the Bauhaus in Dessau to baroque palaces in Potsdam.
PARTICIPATE IN A GROUND-BREAKING DESIGN
to improve city living.
Excursions & Activities
- Visit landmarks by celebrated architects, such as the Reichstag Dome by Foster and Partners, and Potsdamer Platz buildings by Renzo Piano Building Workshop.
- Explore innovative projects such as Spreefeld, an experimental sustainable housing cooperative; Prinzessinnengärten, an innovative urban community garden; or Tempelhofer Feld, a historic airfield now home to a major public park.
- Visit two cities celebrated for architecture on overnight trips to cities such as Hamburg, Leipzig, Dresden, or Prague.
- Get out of the classroom to investigate design in person, at the East Side Gallery section of the Berlin Wall, the Holocaust Memorial, the Brandenburg Gate and more.
- Stop by the Community and Student Life Office to borrow recreational equipment, and get advice from CIEE staff and local student "Buddies" on local restaurants and stores, concerts, art exhibits, and more.
- Stay with German hosts for a weekend to experience family life and traditions in Berlin.
- Practice your language skills with weekly activities organized in the residence hall and around the neighborhood, including cooking events, film nights, board-game evenings, and other opportunities designed to help you perfect your German while hanging out with friends.
- Collaborate on design projects in small groups with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Meet and learn from visiting faculty and professionals via lectures and critiques.
- Connect virtually with other CIEE students as they tackle the same design issues in other cities.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to German culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring Semester||2021||11/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.