Where better to improve your Spanish language skills than the beautiful Santiago, Dominican Republic? Situated in Santiago de los Caballeros, the second-largest city in the country, you'll live with a local family, go on field trips and excursions that bring your studies to life, volunteer with local ONGs, and study at the best academic institution of higher learning in the country.
the great outdoors in the central mountains of the Cibao region, visit the Samaná Peninsula or Montecristi.
STROLL THROUGH THE MUSEUMS
of Santo Domingo, the capital of the D.R.
SEE THE HAITIAN/DOMINICAN BORDER
and a UNESCO World Heritage site
Excursions & Activities
- Go on a weekend trip to the growing eco-paradise that is the Samaná Peninsula and Los Haitises National Park.
- Visit Santo Domingo and its Zona Colonial including the first Cathedral of the Americas.
- Embark on day trips to explore the Hermanas Mirabal Museum in Salcedo; the town of La Vega during Carnaval season; the market-town of Dajabón on the Haitian-Dominican border, and the Centro Leon Museum in Santiago.
- Depending on the courses you take, visit agricultural and industrial projects, free trade zones, a Dominican tobacco company, other local museums, clinics, schools, or nonprofit organizations.
Volunteering. Help out at a local school, orphanage, or home for mentally or physically challenged children. Twice a semester, you'll also do service work in a rural community alongside locals.
- Some meals
- Orientation conducted in Santiago and lasting approximately one week
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2020-2021||04/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.