Raise your already strong Spanish language skills to new heights while you experience student life – and rural life – in the developing Caribbean nation in Santiago. With a homestay, excursions, coursework, and unique opportunities to connect with community members, you’ll look deeply into socio-economic issues, and be part of the fabric of the Dominican Republic – while it becomes part of you.
MAKE THE CARIBBEAN
your classroom, with visits to free trade zones, market towns, museums, and more.
UNWIND IN TROPICAL PARADISE
at Samaná Peninsula, where you’ll marvel at mangroves and more at Los Haitises National park, swim at one of the DR’s most beautiful beaches, and visit to Salto El Limon, home of the magical Lemon Waterfall.
BOOST THE SKILLS YOU NEED
for a global career by earning a Teach English as a Second Language certificate or completing a course in community service.
Excursions & Activities
- Take a break from Santiago with trips to Rio Blanco, Constanza or Rio Limpio for one weekend of work and play in the rural Dominican Republic.
- Day trips include visits to the Capital and Zona Colonial; the Hermanas Mirabal Museum in Salcedo; La Vega during Carnaval season; or the market town of Dajabón, the principal commercial and economic development zone on the Haitian-Dominican border.
- Field trips are part of many academic classes. You might visit agricultural and industrial projects, free trade zones, museums, clinics, schools, and nonprofits.
- Take your pick of nonstop activities offered weekly – volunteering, day trips, class trips, helping with PUCMM events like health promotions and educational fairs, and more.
- Contribute with service work alongside locals in rural communities, in places where CIEE has longstanding relationships in place. Accommodations are rustic, but show students the realities of rural life.
- Volunteer in other capacities, caring for challenged infants and children, helping young boys at a baseball academy, helping an elementary school teacher, caring for young mothers – these are all ways to get personal with members of Dominican communities.
- Swap cultural tips with a Dominican or Haitian partner as you complete assignments together during the CIEE ICL in Santiago.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to Dominican culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2020-2021||04/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.