From the premier Prado Museum to tapas at lively San Miguel Market, you'll discover Madrid's many treasures while you immerse yourself in the Open Campus program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks for your perfect amount of intensive study and cultural engagement, select your academic track from six options, then choose your courses from a wide range of subject areas. No matter what you choose, you'll surround yourself with the language, culture, and people in this dynamic city.
CREATE THE ULTIMATE PROGRAM
with one, two, or three six-week blocks.
STAY IN MADRID, OR
add blocks in Berlin, Cape Town, London, Paris, or Rome.
EXPLORE THE COUNTRY
with an eye-opening three-day study tour.
Excursions & Activities
- Embark on a two-night/three-day study tour to a different region of Spain or neighboring country, like one of these:
- Bilbao. Discover the region's distinctive political identity through food, architecture, art, and sport.
- Tenerife. Explore the largest Canary Island, and learn about the impact of immigration and how mass tourism affects sustainability.
- Lisbon. Learn about a peripheral EU economy with visits to local company exporters.
- Granada. Explore this Andalusian city´s role in the Arab world, history, and today's tourism.
- Stay with Spanish hosts for a weekend.
- Soak up Spanish culture with museum visits, cooking lessons, urban art tours, film festivals, and neighborhood visits.
- Connect with other students through sports and active outings.
- Boost your Spanish skills via language exchange.
- Get to know the city better by helping at a youth center, school, or other organization.
Enrich your experience with one of three optional Academic Projects.
- Students interested in one of the following Academic Projects must submit additional materials as part of their application:
- Internships. Build new skills and intercultural competencies with a CIEE Internship, and become an active member of the Madrid professional environment. Gain on-the-job experience at a start-up tech firm, olive oil producer, brewery, or other modern business.
- Research. Pursue a research project of your own design incorporating independent, local field-work.
- Service-learning. Combine course-based learning with practical, relevant project experience to meet a community-defined need.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Spanish culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight study tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring Semester||2021||11/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.