Ever wonder what fair-trade labels mean to the workers who attach them? In the Dominican Republic – one of the poorest countries in the Caribbean – your experiences will shine a light on this and more. Examine their socio-economic challenges, and help improve their lives. Through coursework, fieldwork, internships, activities, and excursions, you’ll also improve your Spanish skills, and add valuable skills like research methodology, grant writing, critical analysis, and public speaking to your resume.
GET OUT OF THE CLASSROOM
and learn through collaborative experience on grassroots and community-based projects.
to an ongoing rural partnership in organic farming and environmental justice.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE
for a community in need with capstone service project that includes field research.
Excursions & Activities
- Visit free-trade zones, schools, clinics, NGOs and more – last year’s visits included a fair-trade clothing factory and sugar plantation.
- Unwind at tropical Samaná Peninsula, where you’ll marvel at mangroves at Los Haitises National park, swim at one of the DR’s most beautiful beaches, and visit Salto El Limon, and the magical Lemon Waterfall.
- Get skills you need for a global career by earning a Teach English as a Second Language certificate or completing a course in community service.
- See the economy in action with weekend excursions. Visit Dajabón, an economic development zone on the Haitian-Dominican border region. Visit Santo Domingo and Haina to learn about the slave and sugar trades.
- Explore national parks like Lago Enriquillo, Bahia de las Aguilas, and el Hoyo de Pelentito.
- Take one-day trips to Jamao del Norte, the Hermanas Mirabal Museum, and La Vega during Carnaval season.
- Rural stays. Halfway through the program, students stay in a rural community and learn about community development. Work with the first school of organic agriculture and ecology in the DR to learn sustainable environmental practices and alternative strategies for common problems in urban and rural areas, and fine-tune your capstone project.
- Work retreat. See how grassroots development works with this weekend away.
- Internships. Team up with one of our partners (below) and help communities with a range of issues from education to legal assistance while you gain great experience.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Two-week orientation – an introduction to Dominican culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in and around your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring Semester||2020||11/01/2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall Semester||2020||04/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.