Explore the challenges and successes of transforming education and explore its role in a changing South Africa.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
- Learn through hands-on experiences, including observation sessions and practicums in urban primary schools in Durban and in a secondary school in rural KwaZulu-Natal.
- Develop a multidimensional and holistic understanding of education issues in South Africa.
- Compare educational approaches within South Africa during excursions to Johannesburg and Cape Town.
- Participate in a weeklong educational transformation and leadership workshop with South African learners.
- Experience rural and urban South African life through homestays in two very different communities.
- Visit nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) and government offices engaged in crafting education policy and implementing programs.
- See lions, elephants, leopards, buffalo, and/or rhinos at Hluhluwe/Umfolozi Game Reserve and visit other key sites such as the Hector Pieterson Museum, the Apartheid Museum, and Gandhi’s Phoenix Settlement.
- Gain an introduction to Zulu language and culture.
Key Topics of Study
- The ways in which educational institutions reflect difference—and differential access—in South Africa
- Education policy and the role of education in South Africa’s development
- Diverse and differing perspectives on education issues in South Africa
- The legacy of apartheid in South Africa’s educational system and current challenges
- Educational approaches within South Africa, including multicultural and non-formal education and the “demise” of outcomes-based education
- South Africa’s political system, crime rate, and overall condition
- Education in urban and rural contexts
- Education, gender, and sexuality
- HIV/AIDS education and life-skills training
- The transformation of tertiary education
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- The SIT Pell Grant Match provides matching grants to all students receiving Federal Pell Grant funding when it is applied to an SIT Study Abroad semester program. Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
Contact SIT Study Abroad
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: email@example.com
- Call an admissions counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2020||05/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.