The Barcelona Program for Interdisciplinary Studies (BaPIS) constitutes the cornerstone of UPF’s strategy for internationalization and innovation. By convening students from different backgrounds, from UPF and other countries, the program offers a space of convergence between instructors and students to set up fruitful dialogue and communal learning. By breaking down the barriers between knowledge areas, it promotes an interdisciplinary approach and the effective cross-fertilization of ideas and initiatives. With its hands-on approach and combination of STEM disciplines, Communication, Humanities and Social Sciences, BaPIS provides a unique environment for developing a crucial tool to rise to today’s challenges.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 3.0
- Class Requirement: Junior-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: At least one semester/quarter of college level Spanish, or equivalent, is required prior to enrolling. or courses taught in Spanish, a minimum of four semesters/quarters of college level Spanish, or equivalent, is required prior to enrolling.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Established in 1990, the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is one of Barcelona’s newest institutions and has already earned an International Excellence Campus label from the Spanish Ministry of Education. The campus is full of remodeled historic buildings and sits just two blocks from the beach.
BaPIS has evolved from a previous study abroad program, the Hispanic and European Studies Program (HESP). After two decades of success and expansion, HESP has developed into a radically different project while maintaining its goal of promoting intercultural understanding in our increasingly interconnected world. Its new direction is aimed at local and international students, offering them a range of subjects to explore from a common perspective and in an exceptional intellectual and urban environment.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UPF, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UPF with other international students.
- “Creativity: The Human Factor” is the axis of BaPIS. Under this motto, innovative courses promote forms of critical thinking, navigating across disciplines and building on crucial knowledge areas. From Ethics to Biology, from Artificial Intelligence to Humanities, from Legal systems to Politics and Society, from Economics to Design Thinking, courses at BaPIS aim to stimulate creative approaches to today’s big challenges.
- The Barcelona Program for Interdisciplinary Studies offers an exciting opportunity for local and international students to gain knowledge and experience in a multicultural environment. All instructors on the Program are high-profile UPF faculty with a distinguished research trajectory and proven international academic experience, who, together with the highly motivated students that participate, form the bedrock of a quality program.
- The UPF Education Abroad Program encourages experiential learning through cultural activities and on-site classes in the BaPIS curriculum. Courses include hands-on workshops, faculty-guided trips to relevant sites and institutions, course-related tours, company visits, seminars and sessions by guest speakers in which they share their expertise and perspectives.
- In addition to content-based courses, BaPIS includes the option of supplementing students’ credits through language courses at all levels. Five different levels of Spanish classes are offered, from beginner to proficiency, and even Spanish for heritage speakers. The proficiency level prepares students for the Instituto Cervantes DELE (Diploma de Español como Lengua Extranjera) exam, which they can take during their stay in Barcelona.
For a complete list of courses and syllabi, please click here
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester/quarter, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester/quarter abroad at the UPF, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
The BaPIS Semester Program at the UPF Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
Cultural & Social Activities:
- UPF Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
For Continued Success After the Program:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Overnight and/or Weekend Excursion(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Day Trip(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Optional Weekend Excursion to Morocco (Additional Cost Applies)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
…and SO MUCH MORE!
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Alumni Ambassador” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. We have carefully selected safe and adequate housing for each student but each living arrangement is different. We make every effort to provide you with your preferred form of housing, but due to space limitations we cannot guarantee that you will get your first choice.
Housing for the program is spread throughout the city of Barcelona. Every neighborhood is easily accessible by public transportation and the city is very walkable. The normal commute in Barcelona is around 45 minutes using public transportation from your housing to your school or internship, it may be a bit more or less than this.
Each neighborhood has a different feel…Les Corts is where the soccer stadium is, Gracia is hipster and bohemian, Eixample has a gay friendly district and incredible architecture, Sagrada Familia has wonderful shopping, Sant Marti & Poblenou are tech powerhouses off the tourist path.
Please click here
to view more information regarding our housing options.
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!