The Hispanic & European Studies (HESP) Semester/Quarter Program at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) offers courses in Spanish and English in four main areas: Catalan Studies, Hispanic Studies, European Studies, and Global Studies. Former students have rated their UPF classes so highly based on the academic rigor, the ability to take classes alongside local students, and engaging professors.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 3.0
- Class Requirement: Junior-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: At least one semester/quarter of college level Spanish, or equivalent, is required prior to enrolling. or courses taught in Spanish, a minimum of four semesters/quarters of college level Spanish, or equivalent, is required prior to enrolling.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Established in 1990, the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is one of Barcelona’s newest institutions and has already earned an International Excellence Campus label from the Spanish Ministry of Education. The campus is full of remodeled historic buildings and sits just two blocks from the beach.
The Hispanic and European Studies (HESP) Program is the core of the UPF Education Abroad Program. Created in 2002, it was designed to be one of Europe’s top programs for international students. The program aims to provide students with greater insight into the European, Spanish, and Catalan realities, while at the same time encouraging critical thinking. The program includes a global studies track to encourage reflection on a variety of topics, while continuing to promote intercultural awareness and understanding in our increasingly globalized world.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UPF, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UPF with other international students.
The Spanish Language courses offered by the UPF Language Training Program (PEI) are organized at five different levels, from beginner to proficient. The proficiency level prepares students for the Instituto Cervantes DELE (Diploma de Español como Lengua Extranjera). More specialized courses are also available.
All courses, which have 90 contact hours, are taught using the communicative approach to language learning and have been designed according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
For a complete list of courses and syllabi for this program, please visit the Barcelona SAE website.
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester/quarter, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester/quarter abroad at the UPF, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
The Hispanic & European Studies (HESP) Semester/Quarter Program at the UPF Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
Cultural & Social Activities:
- UPF Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
For Continued Success After the Program:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Zaragoza, Seville, Granada, Basque Country, etc.)
- Optional Weekend Excursion to Morocco (Additional Cost Applies)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
…and SO MUCH MORE!
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!