Looking for a study abroad + internship option? Look no further than our Summer Credited Internship + SIS Seminar Program! Study abroad and earn 3 credits, plus you’ll earn 3 internship credits in your field of study.
You’ll enjoy a perfect blend of top-notch academics and professional development opportunities that include intriguing courses, contributing to real-world projects through an immersive internship, guest speakers, local tours and a variety of cultural activities and excursions.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is accredited by Jacksonville University (JU) in Jacksonville, Florida. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at SIS, the JU transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
For the study abroad portion of the program, will be taking a course at the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) with the ability to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
Students will have the option to add on a 3 credit course during the SIS Summer Session II and can choose from the following options:
- Elementary Spanish Language & Culture – A1 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Elementary Spanish Language & Culture – A2 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language & Culture – B1 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- International Marketing (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every summer, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific summer abroad at Barcelona SIS, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from the Barcelona SIS school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
During the internship portion of the program, you will complete specific projects from local companies in Barcelona, while taking language classes, attending professional development workshops, and joining in cultural and social activities.
The internship for credit portion includes the following:
- 120+ contact hours with host company
- Individualized placements by field
- Internship seminar – course with reflection, guest speakers, cultural awareness and ICC training
- Personal Advisor – Accredited faculty (in the field) oversees internship and gives the final grade based on feedback from the seminar, supervisor and weekly journal entries
The Summer Credited Internship + SIS Seminar Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- Professional Skype Interview
- Cover Letter & Resume Coaching
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
Cultural & Social Activities:
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- 8 Week Internship Placement
- 10h+ Internship Seminar at SIS
- Optional 3 Credits during SIS Session II
- Staff Escort to First Day of Internship
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insuranc
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
An overnight excursion(s) is available for an extra cost.
For Continued Success After the Program:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Day Trips to Discover Catalonia (Besalú, Figueres, Montserrat, Girona, etc.)
- Working Across Cultures Workshop
- Monthly Professional Agenda
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Barrio Tours, Guided Visits and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
The Program Does Not Include:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.…and SO MUCH MORE!
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY
and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!