Getting involved isn't an extra – it's what your time in Cape Town is all about. Apply the principles of leadership-in-service as you join a Cape Town community organization, school, or nongovernmental organization to make a positive impact. Whether you work with HIV-positive children or organize math workshops, you'll learn the challenges of community service and contribute to positive social change.
EXPLORE ICONIC CAPE TOWN
sites like Table Mountain (one of the seven wonders of nature) and Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was jailed for 18 years.
GET NEW INSIGHTS
to the region's economic, social, and political challenges from experts.
your learning with a capstone project that unifies your engagement, research, and coursework.
Excursions & Activities
- Discuss the region's economic, social, and political challenges with experts.
- Enjoy downtime with local fans at a cricket or rugby match.
- Get a taste of the city's food scene with a gourmet night out.
- See culture come to life with theater, music, and dance productions.
- Visit rural cooperatives to see the challenges facing farmers.
- Explore the South African Museum, the oldest museum in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Study the languages of Afrikaans or isiXhosa.
Peer-to-peer connections. Resident assistants (RAs) are UCT students, recruited and trained by CIEE, to help with cultural excursions, live with CIEE students in their apartments, and introduce CIEE students to the Cape Town community.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to South African culture, your academic program, the City, and practical information about living in Cape Town
- Full-time program leadership and support in Cape Town
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring Semester||2020||11/01/2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall Semester||2020||04/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.