Bring your interest in Dutch language, society, politics, and culture to this progressive, multicultural city for coursework across social science and humanities in English at CIEE Amsterdam and our cosmopolitan partner, University of Amsterdam (UvA). Select from Dutch language learning at the Dutch Language Institute (INTT) which is part of UvA and courses across disciplines including anthropology, European studies, film studies, history, international relations, media, psychology, sociology, urban studies, and more. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
GET AROUND BY BIKE
– it's the Dutch way – and the best way to get a closer perspective of this multicultural city.
GET A MULTINATIONAL PERSPECTIVE
on everything you study by working side by side with the international student body at University of Amsterdam.
LIVE LIKE THE LOCALS
by taking a bike tour, attending a special exhibition at the Rijksmuseum, Stedelijk Museum, or another world-class institution.
Excursions & Activities
- Travel overnight to experience life in another Dutch city or slip out of urban life at a coastal preserve.
- Take day trips that highlight Dutch innovation outside the city rings of Amsterdam.
- Cheer alongside Dutch fans at a soccer match, or experience Dutch theatre or dance at a historic performance hall.
- Team up with a student coach from the University of Amsterdam's International Student Network (ISN), and enjoy city outings with your own group of international students at the UvA.
- Get to know Dutch youngsters by volunteering to teach English once a week at a local Amsterdam school.
- Join one of several weekly activites. From exploring Amsterdam’s multicultural composition, to its status as a global culinary capital or a hub for business innovation, there’s a way to pursue nearly every interest and explore nearly every facet of Amsterdam.
- Take part in a Power and Privilege workshop to explore the uneven distribution of power and privilege in the Netherlands along gendered, raced, and classed lines.
- Lend your voice to the Student Representative Council and help shape CIEE Amsterdam’s activities and programming.
- Sign up for a weekend homestay, and get to meet and spend a weekend with a Dutch family.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Dutch culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall Semester||2019||04/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||08/19/2019||12/21/2019|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.