Examine how history, geography, and demographics shape traditional and allopathic healthcare, and learn how communities throughout Madagascar practice plant-based and traditional medicine
- Learn about healthcare treatment, diagnosis, access, education, and training in urban and rural Madagascar.
- Discover how culture, economics, politics, and geography influence Malagasy approaches to healthcare.
- Explore Antananarivo and beyond.
- Experience the diversity of Malagasy communities.
- Explore unique natural environments.
- Enhance your French and learn Malagasy.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
Key Topics of Study
- Current healthcare models in Madagascar and the social and political dimensions of healthcare delivery
- Postcolonial history and contemporary Malagasy politics as applied to healthcare policy and delivery
- The strong links between global healthcare challenges and economic, social, environmental, and political factors
- Ethnobotany, home and folk remedies, and the extent to which health beliefs are grounded in cultural and religious practices of local communities
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.3 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $3,000.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
Contact SIT Study Abroad
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call an admissions counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2020||05/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.