In the Mediterranean, food is much more than a key to survival as it is a window into the local culture! Study how, when and what locals eat and find cultural differences and similarities throughout the three countries we will visit. Study the business behind the industries of food production and exportation, the nutritional elements behind the Mediterranean diet, and take home some recipes for a lifetime of cooking.
You’ll enjoy a perfect blend of top-notch academics and experiential learning that include intriguing courses, guest speakers, local tours and a variety of cultural activities and excursions. Courses are taught in English, but students are highly encouraged to practice their Spanish, Italian, and Greek language skills outside of the classroom to truly get the most out of the experience.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
The Food & Culture of the Mediterranean January Term Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is accredited by Jacksonville University (JU) in Jacksonville, Florida. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at SIS, the JU transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your three-credit course will be taught in English, but with a Spanish, Italian, and Greek style. This means courses will be primarily lectures with some teamwork involved.
For the Food, Culture & Society of the Mediterranean program, students will take the following course:
- Food, Culture & Society in the Mediterranean Basin (3 credits)
- In order to receive credit from SIS’s school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
While in Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
Cultural & Social Activities:
- SIS Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Airport Pick-Up & Drop-Off in Barcelona & Rome
- Airport Pick-Up in Athens
- Flights Between European Cities
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
For Continued Success After the Program:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Castellers Practice, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
- Round-Trip Airfare to Barcelona and from Athens
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY
and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!