The ICT/STEM Studies Semester Program at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is for those students with an interest in science, technology, digital media, and engineering who wish to enhance their knowledge, skills, and abilities with an international twist. This program is a great fit for students studying computer science, biomedical engineering, audio engineering or digital media.
The highly regarded UPF has organized a dynamic set of program components that allow you to mix and match to tailor your experience to suit your needs and interests, including the opportunity to gain practical hands on experience. No Spanish, no worries! Courses and experiential learning tracks can be completed in English.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.7
- Class Requirement: Junior-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: For courses taught in Spanish, a minimum of four semesters/quarters (or equivalent) of college-level Spanish is required. For courses taught in English, no previous Spanish language is required
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Established in 1990, the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is one of Barcelona’s newest institutions but has already earned an International Excellence Campus label from the Spanish Ministry of Education. With several campuses located around the city, the main campus is made up of remodeled historic buildings and is located just two blocks from the beach.
The UPF’s STEM program is the perfect choice for students that need to take Science and Engineering courses while abroad, which sets this program apart from the majority of study abroad programs available in Barcelona. Students opting for the STEM courses will find a variety of fields available, such as Audiovisual Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering, Telematics Engineering, and Biomedical Engineering. These classes will be regular courses from the Polytechnic School at UPF, which means that while most are taught English, they are designed for local students rather than internationals. This means you’ll get a great local experience!
Most students taking the STEM program at UPF combine their course load with some classes at HESP, which means that they can take STEM courses while also taking Spanish language, history or other electives. STEM classes at UPF are very challenging, so students should be prepared to put in some hard work, but because of this can expect to receive a high-quality education.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UPF, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UPF with other international students.
Please note that for full time enrollment you will need to take 20-25 ECTS, which equates to 4-5 classes.
- Audiovisual Engineering Courses
- Image Processing
- Sound and Music Processing
- Voice and Audio Encoding Systems
- Advanced Visualization
- Real Time Audio Processing
- Audiovisual Production Lab
- Pattern Recognition
- Computer Science Engineering Courses
- Network Architecture
- Development of Distributed Applications
- Telecommunications Engineering Courses
- Mobile Communications
- Multimedia Transmission Protocols
- Radio Communications
- Deployment of Telecommunications Infrastructure
- Biomedical Engineering Courses
- Bioinstrumentation and Biosensors
- Analysis of Biomedical Images
- Project Management and Innovation in Biomedical Engineering
- Introduction to Biopharmaceutical Design
- Systems Biology
- Advanced Synthetic Biology
- Modeling Complex Diseases
You can also choose from classes among these programs:
- Hispanic & European Studies Program
- International Business Program
- Spanish Language Program
- PEI (Advanced)
- Traducción e Interpretación (Advanced)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester/quarter, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester/quarter abroad at the UPF, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
The STEM Studies Semester Program at the UPF Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
Cultural & Social Activities:
- UPF Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
For Continued Success After the Program:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Overnight and/or Weekend Excursion(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Day Trip(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Optional Weekend Excursion to Morocco (Additional Cost Applies)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
…and SO MUCH MORE!
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Alumni Ambassador” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. We have carefully selected safe and adequate housing for each student but each living arrangement is different. We make every effort to provide you with your preferred form of housing, but due to space limitations we cannot guarantee that you will get your first choice.
Housing for the program is spread throughout the city of Barcelona. Every neighborhood is easily accessible by public transportation and the city is very walkable. The normal commute in Barcelona is around 45 minutes using public transportation from your housing to your school or internship, it may be a bit more or less than this.
Each neighborhood has a different feel…Les Corts is where the soccer stadium is, Gracia is hipster and bohemian, Eixample has a gay friendly district and incredible architecture, Sagrada Familia has wonderful shopping, Sant Marti & Poblenou are tech powerhouses off the tourist path.
Please click here
to view more information regarding our housing options.
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!